If you have questions about Asthma Educator Institute, here's everything you need to know.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Asthma Educator Institute™ (AEI) is a three partial-day preparatory course for individuals that want to implement asthma guidelines-based care and those qualified to take the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) examination. The AEI was developed with experts in the field of asthma and reflects the Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
The curriculum covers the content outlined in the NBRC Candidate Handbook and includes case reviews, hands-on skills demonstration and practice. The course is delivered by asthma experts from your community, including Certified Asthma Educators (AE-C).
The registration fee is $300. There is an early bird discount automatically applied to any online registration processed before May 7, 2024. The registration fee includes resource materials, continuing education credits, a demo device toolkit, and access to resources and slide presentations for up to 30 days post event. Full payment must be received at time of registration.
You can register online by choosing the Register option in the navigation at the top of this page. Registration deadline is May 31, 2024. (Please make sure to accept email notifications to receive communication for this event).
IMPORTANT: For Credit Card Processing
- When completing your registration, the credit card address/zip code that you are using for payment and the address/zip code you use in the contact information must match. If this does not match, your credit card will NOT be processed.
- Company credit card: The billing address must match the zip code associated with the company credit card.
- Personal credit card: The billing address must match the zip code associated with your personal credit card.
The schedule for each day of this course can be found in the agenda.
Register before May 7, 2024 for the early bird rate!
The Asthma Educator Institute is designed to meet continuing education requirements for a variety of healthcare professionals. Presenter objectives, qualifications, and a certificate of attendance will be available.
- Respiratory Care: An application for this program has been submitted for 14.0 contact hours Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit to the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), 9425 N. MacArthur Blvd. Suite 100, Irving TX 75063.
- AE-C Recertification by Continuing Education: AE-C recertification by continuing education requires that CE applicable to asthma must be approved by a NBRC Recognized Provider. It does not have to be discipline specific nor does it have to come from any specific area of concentration, e.g., nurses may attend an asthma-related respiratory therapy program and use those clock hours for AE-C recertification. This program has been submitted to the AARC, a recognized provider by the NBRC, for continuing education contact hours for respiratory therapists.
- Physicians: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the New Mexico Medical Society (NMMS) through the joint providership of Rehoboth McKinley Christian Health Care Services (RMCHCS) and the American Lung Association in New Mexico. RMCHCS is accredited by NMMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. RMCHCS designates this live activity for a maximum of 14.0 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- A certificate of completion will be emailed at the end of the course and after completion of the post course/speaker evaluation. Please allow 3-4 weeks to receive your certificate.
Please make sure to register using a physical mailing address. This will be the address used to send your demonstration device toolkit.
Registration fee is refundable, less a $25 processing fee, prior to May 31, 2024. Substitutions are permitted. Registration confirmations will be emailed. (Please make sure to accept email notifications to receive communication for this event.)
You can find the course syllabus on the AEI main webpage. The syllabus provides information about the course including: course description, course objectives, learning objectives, CEU/CME information, contact info, expectations for success, preparation for the course, inclusion statement and the course agenda.
It is strongly recommended that you complete the free online Asthma Basics course prior to attending. This course now includes 1 CEU/CME credit for eligible licensed healthcare professionals, in addition to the credits offered for the Asthma Educator Institute course.
In addition to Asthma Basics, the American Lung Association recommends taking the following courses to have a better understanding of what can affect asthma. These courses include 1 CEU/CME credit for eligible licensed healthcare professionals, in addition to the credits offered for the Asthma Educator Institute.
If you have other questions, please contact our Special Events staff.