Why We Raise Funds
Our vision is a world free of lung disease. Tobacco smoke, polluted air and lung diseases such as lung cancer, COPD, asthma and others threaten our lungs and our lives. Our mission is to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education and advocacy.
- We raise funds because there is a lung health crisis.
- Lung disease is responsible for one in every six deaths.
- Lung cancer is the #1 cancer killer of both women and men.
- Every five minutes another woman is diagnosed with lung cancer and 50% of those diagnosed will not be alive a year later.
- COPD is the third leading cause of death.
- Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans.
- Every day 2900 kids try their first cigarette.
- Smoking it the leading cause of preventable death in the US.
- Nearly 50% of Americans breathe unhealthy air
Now let's clarify some important fundraising details:
- The registration fee does not apply to the fundraising/donation minimum.
- If you choose, you don't have to fundraise. You can make the donation.
- We will not do pledges or billing after the event this year. The fundraising/donation minimums must be met before the ride and turned in, along with waivers, no later than September 3, 2018.
- You can continue to fundraise after the ride. Awards for top fundraisers will occur at the Ride Reunion in November.