CALLING ALL FIREFIGHTER, POLICE OFFICER, EMS AND MILITARY PERSONNEL!
STEP UP. GEAR UP. AND BE PART OF THE FIRST RESPONDERS CHALLENGE!
The Fight for Air Climb is not only a great training exercise and personal challenge, but it is also a great way to build team camaraderie and boost team morale. Your team will also join together in an effort to raise valuable funds and awareness for the American Lung Association. All climbers are timed using an electronic chip timing system. Each group has its own set of guidelines for competition. All climbers must raise a minimum of $100 to participate in addition to their registration fee.
Firefighter and First Responder Team Captains: When registering, please make sure you select your team division type (firefighter or first responder) as well as entering your company name during registration.
Awards will be given for both teams and individuals. See below for details.
FIREFIGHTER FULL GEAR CHALLENGE
FIREFIGHTER FULL GEAR OPTIONS
Choose between these two options.
- ELITE Firefighter Full Gear Challenge Fastest of the Fast.
Elite Firefighter Full Gear Challengers are those that can complete the 71 floor climb in full gear in 16 minutes or less. Climbers must have completed in the 2016 Detroit Climb with a finishing time of 15 minutes or less to qualify. This race option is limited to 50 racers. No civilians.
- Firefighter Full Gear Challenge Current professional full time, part-time and volunteer firefighters.
Firefighters are to wear full structural firefighting personal protective equipment which meets current NFPA standards including tanks, boots, lining, etc. No axes, oxygen not on. No civilians.
FIRST RESPONDER OPTIONS Choose one.
- Other Responders (No gear firefighters, EMT, EMS, Military)- Full time, part-time and volunteer fire (partial/no gear)
EMTs, EMS and Military climbing in uniform, plain clothes, bunk, branch or station shirts. No civilians.
- Law Enforcement: Police/Law Enforcement ready to take on the Fight for Air Climb challenge. No civilians.
- Uniform Requirements: bunk shirts and/or partial uniforms.
- Weapons: Absolutely no weapons are permitted at the event.
All Firefighter Challenge and first responder participants are timed during their vertical climb to reach the top of the 71st floor of the Renaissance Center and are to wear full structural firefighting personal protective equipment which meets current NFPA standards.
Team Requirements: For team time awards - Team average will be determined by taking the top three times of individuals from each team, no matter how large or small the team. The fastest team will be awarded a “Traveling Trophy” to take back to their fire house for 2017.
Gear Requirements for Firefighter Full Gear Challenges
Personal Protective Equipment: Boots, turnout coat and pants, helmet, gloves, and SCBA harness with air cylinder. SCBA face pieces and hoods do not need to be worn. Firefighters will not be on air. No axes.
Any equipment that you take into the stairwell must make the trip with you. No gear may be discarded in the stairwell.
- Highest Fundraising Firefighter Team The team who raises the most funds by the close of fundraising will be awarded a “Traveling Trophy” to take back to their fire house for 2016 and the coveted 1st Fire Team to Climb the Ren Cen slot in 2018.
- Fastest Firefighter Full Gear Challenge Team - Note: This is not a relay. Team average will determine the winner, no matter how large or small the team. The fastest team will be awarded a “Traveling Trophy” to take back to their fire house for 2017.
- Fastest First Responder Team (Non-full gear firefighters) - Team average will determine the winner, no matter how large or small the team.
- Fastest Male/Female Climber in Each Age Group for Firefighter Challenge - Age Groups: Under 40 years; 40 years and above.