About the Asthma Educator Institute
The American Lung Association developed the Asthma Educator Institute (AEI), a two-day preparatory course for the National Asthma Education Certification Board (NAECB) exam. The curriculum reflects the detailed content outline delineated in the NAECB Certified Asthma Educator candidate book (see www.naecb.org for details). AEI includes hands-on skills, demonstrations, and practice as well as evaluation tests to measure increase in knowledge and skills.
Who Should Attend?
Course Objectives & Agenda
At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Analyze the components of asthma education: lung pathophysiology, assessment of physical status, environmental factors, barriers to adherence and pharmacological interventions.
- Design asthma management and education plans for individuals in a variety of situations.
- Teach individuals how to manage their asthma using appropriate devices and techniques.
- Pursue national certification through NAECB.
Topics To Be Covered
- Asthma Overview: Definition, pathophysiology and role of inflammation
- Factors Contributing to Asthma Exacerbations: Allergens, irritants, and environmental factors.
- •Patient history and physical assessment
- Case studies using spirometry
- Pharmacologic management of asthma
- Barriers to adherence and compliance
- Asthma Action Plan: Management plan development
- Your role as an asthma educator
- NAECB preparation.
8:00 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:30 Education Principals for a Partnership in Asthma Care
10:45 Asthma Overview
11:30 Factors Contributing to Asthma Exacerbations
12:30 p.m. Lunch
1:15 Asthma Management: Pharmacological Therapy
3:00 Case Studies Using Spirometry
3:45–4:00 Wrap Up
8:00 a.m. Review of the Day
8:15 Asthma Medicine Devices and
9:45 Patient and Family Assessment
11:30 Barriers to Adherence and Compliance
12:30 p.m. Lunch
1:15 Asthma Action Plan: Management
3:00 Your Role as an Asthma Educator:
3:15 Exam Preparation
3:45–4:15 Post-Test and Evaluation
Continuing Education Accreditation
To receive Continuing Education Credits, you must attend all sessions, both days.
The fee for this two day session is $250 per person.
The program will be held at:
20 Coogan Blvd
May 15 8am to 4pm
May 16 8am to 4:15pm
To register online, click the "Register Now" button at top or this link.
To register with a check or money order payment (Payable to American Lung Association), download and complete this registration form and mail to:
American Lung Association
45 Ash St.
East Hartford, CT 06108