Patient Program: 8:15 a.m. - 2:45 p.m. Professional Program: 7:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
The Healthy Lung Expo is a program designed for patients and healthcare providers to learn more about the latest trends, resources and research surrounding COPD, asthma and lung cancer. Speakers from a variety of fields will present current medical-based research on topics that have the most impact on those whose lives are touched by these conditions.
Early Bird Special has been extended! Register by Monday October 15, 2012 to receive the discounted rate of $75 for the professional program!
Continuing Education Credits (Received Approval)
Application has been approved for nursing and respiratory therapy continuing education through Des Moines Area Community College, Provider #22. Participants not receiving continuing education hours will be awarded a certificate of attendance. To collect 5.7 contact hours or .57 CEUs, attendance for the full day is required; partial credits will not be given.
We are pleased to provide attendees with the opportunity to connect with companies that have respiratory products and agencies that provide key services. Be sure to take advantage of the exhibit times built into the schedule.
Oxygen refills and wheelchairs will be available to attendees, courtesy of Iowa Health Home Care. Participants with special need requests should call 515-309-9507 or email email@example.com by November 2. We are here to make sure you are safe and comfortable.
- Define and utilize treatment options in the management of smoking cessation
- Identify health coaching techniques to motivate patients toward lung disease self-management
- Identify new oxygen therapy delivery devices
- Distinguish the role of spirometry testing for the identification and management of different lung diseases
- Explain and understand the stepwise approach to asthma therapy and the NAEPP classification schemes
- Identify how to prevent the spread of pertussis within a community
- Demonstrate the use of medication delivery devices
- Recognize signs and describe the clinical consequences of obstructive sleep apnea
- Describe new technologies for detecting lung cancer
- Identify how to determine less common lung diseases through interactive case studies
- Describe hospital and community services available to assist the lung disease patient and family with end of life
- Connie Alexander, Iowa Clinic
- Sherif El-Mahdy, MD, FRCPC, CIC Associates, PC
- Eddie Erlbacher, Iowa Hospice
- Susan Flack, RN-BC, BSN, Iowa Health-Des Moines
- Ruth Gassman, RN, Mercy Medical Center
- Randy Gorres, MS, RRT, RCP, Iowa Health-Des Moines
- Kathy Hunnicutt, RN, BSN, OCN, John Stoddard Cancer Center
- Peg Iverson, AlphaNet Patient Services Coordinator
- Janet Keating, RRT, RA, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
- Pam Murphy, PharmD, Mercy Medical Center
- Jean Rommes, PhD, EFFORTS Board Member, Patient Advocate
- Carissa Thompson, RN, BSN, OCN, John Stoddard Cancer Center
- Thomas Gross, MD, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (2012 Healthy Lung Expo Chair)
A block of rooms have been reserved at a rate of $99 (single/ double), West Des Moines Sheraton, 1800 50th Street, West Des Moines, IA 50266. Please contact the hotel directly at 515-223-1800 to reserve your room and reference the Healthy Lung Expo.