Who am I Doing this For?
When my grandmother was 17, she left school and moved from Minnesota to Seattle to work for Boeing and support the WWII effort. She was a true Rosie the Riveter. She currently suffers from COPD, a form of lung disease that the ALA helps fight. When she moved to Seattle she had to be tough as nails to help build airplanes under the same shadow of Mt. Rainier that we still have today. I plan to channel that same toughness to climb that mountain, and raise money to help fight the disease she suffers from.
When I climb the mountain I will carry a picture of my grandmother to the top, so she too can look out at the land she helped protect.
Who am I?
My name is Pat and I want to climb a very large mountain. I also want to help all of the lungs everywhere, mine, my grandmothers, and even yours.
To do this, I am embarking on a journey to raise money for the American Lung Association by climbing the 14,411 ft Mt Rainier in Washington state.
All contributions go to the American Lung Association, supporting research that fights lung disease, finds ways to clean our air, and provides resources to help people quit smoking. The ALA keeps my training going, culminating in hitting the fundraising goal, helping the fight for clean air and clean lungs, and putting me on the mountain.
So throw some money in the pot, help my grandmother, help the air we breathe, help the lungs we all have, and make me climb a giant volcano.
- We all have and use lungs.
- The American Lung Association wants us to continue to have and use our lungs and to fill those lungs with breathable air. You can find out more about their work here: http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/
- You will get access to training videos, climb videos and an end of adventure edit of the whole thing.
- Your name will be in the credits of the final video.
- Depending on the donation, I will hand carry your name/logo up the mountain.
- If I hit my goal, I will climb the mountain. Two springs ago I wanted to run a half marathon, the following September I did. Last spring I wanted to run a marathon, the following September I did. This spring, I want to climb Mt. Rainier. If I hit my goal, I will climb it, my only barrier will not be physical endurance, but weather and safety for the summit push.
- Buy your lungs a beer, even $5 makes a difference, and the work the ALA does benefits everyone.
- 02/28 - WOW! In less than 24 hours $675 has rolled in between this page and the facebook donation page. That is huge. Thank you all very much!
- 03/06 - Just passed 1k! That is more than 25% of the way there! This is awesome. Thank you very much to all of the donors!
- 03/07 - 40% of the way there. This is so great, it is Amazing to see freinds, family and community pulling together for a good cause.