The Asthma Educator Institute
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital
The Asthma Educator Institute is a two-day preparatory course for those qualified to take the National Asthma Educator Certification Board (NAECB) examination. The American Lung Association Asthma Educator Institute was developed in January of 2003 and was recently updated to reflect the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma.
The curriculum covers the content outlined in the NAECB Candidate Handbook and includes case reviews, hands-on skills demonstration and practice. The course is delivered by asthma experts from your community, including Certified Asthma Educators (AE-C).
Applying for 13.09 Continuing Respiratory Care Education credits
- Applying for 12 Contact Hours for Nurses
- Applying for 12 Continuing Education Units for Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES)
Course Objectives & Agenda
The overall course objectives are:
- To prepare participants to provide NHLBI and NAEPP guideline directed asthma care to patients, families and health care providers across all settings.
- To identify the various roles of the asthma educator.
- To help prepare participants to pass the National Asthma Educator Certification Board exam.
- To network with health care providers/educators and organizations surrounding asthma care and asthma care policies.
The following heath care providers are highly recommended to take this course:
- Respiratory Therapists
- Masters Prepared or C.H.E.S. Health Educators
- Social Workers
- AE-C’s preparing for recertification
The scheduled topics for the seminar are as follows:
- Education Principles for a Partnership in Asthma Care
- Asthma Overview & Pathophysiology
- Factors Contributing to Asthma Exacerbations
- Barriers to Adherence & Compliance: Behavioral, Cultural & Other Challenges
- Asthma Medicine Devices & Demonstration
- Pharmacological Therapy
- Patient and Family Assessment
- Asthma Action Plan: Management Plan Development
- NAECB Exam Preparation
Early Bird Special: $175 through March 15th
Regular: $200 after March 15th
Student (proof of enrollment required): $100
Registration Deadline: April 1, 2014
Refunds Full refunds are available until March 26, 2014. A late cancellation fee of $100 will be applied to all refunds after March 26, 2014.
Inova Fair Oaks Hospital - Fairfax, VA 22033